We have been spoiled here in SF. It’s been unusually warm the last few months and there have even been days that got close to 90 degrees! For you that are familiar with the weather here, you know it rarely gets over 70, especially during the summer months. So, I can’t complain. Well, with the exception of the Saturday weather – chilly and windy. Now that is typical of a SF summer!
Anyway, summer weather requires us to adjust our beauty routines. Sure, we’ve talked about this before – lightweight foundations (BB creams), waterproof mascara, sunscreen, regular pedicures/waxes. We’ve got the basics down. But in the last couple of months with the unexpected SF heat, I’ve gathered a few more summer beauty tips to share.
1. Take extra care of your skin. And actually stick to it. Up until recently, I admit that I’ve been inconsistent with my skin care regimen. Eh. I get lazy! But I know that just results in bad skin and now that I work for a skin care company, I’m learning more and more about how to better care of it. And if I don’t, there are people in the office who call me out! During the summer months, the heat and humidity can cause extra problems (clogged pores, breakouts, etc etc etc). SO. Wash your face. Exfoliate. Use toner. Keep your skin as naturally flawless as possible, because your lightweight summer foundation won’t conceal your laziness (okay, I’m so speaking to myself right now.)
2. Forget the waterproof mascara and try eyelash extensions. Yes, I’ve gotten eyelash extensions before and they create beautiful, voluminous lashes that look natural! While I love waterproof mascara for the pool or beach, it does not compare to what I can get with extensions. And since it is not recommended to wear any oil-based eye makeup or remover with eyelash extensions, they are actually quite compatible with the minimal summer beauty routine.
3. Skip the summer highlights. Everyone wants to lighten their hair for the summer. But going too many shades lighter means that you’ll be spending a lot of time in the salon to maintain it. And who has time for that when there is good weather to enjoy? Give your tresses a summer break. Go au natural or a very subtle ombre.
4. Instead of plugging in your hot tools, experiment with bedtime twists and braids to style your hair. It isn’t fun standing around hot tools or under a blow dryer in the summer heat. Minimize the heat styling by sleeping with braids or twists to naturally style your hair as you sleep. Another tip for curly hair girls like me is to sleep with a thick headband, which helps minimize frizz. And if you usually wash your hair in the morning, the easy fix is to just wash it at night instead. (I love the obvious tip!)
5. Have well-maintained eyebrows. This is something that my beauty savvy (younger) sister taught me awhile back – that the brightness of the sun can put “light” on even the slightest imperfections, including those loose eyebrow hairs. And as a Persian who is overly concerned about any facial/body hair that has really stuck with me!
6. Wear lipstick. There is a tendency to want to skip makeup entirely during the warmer months. While deep, bold lipsticks may not be appropriate, I still like to wear a bit of color. It just makes the face look more vibrant – rosy pinks and corals are ideal.
What are your unexpected summer beauty tips? Share them with me in the comments below!