One of my favorite activities during the summer is picnicking. I have many recipes that I love to prepare for a picnic but one of my favorite sides is a cole slaw. While I’m totally down to indulge in a cole slaw with heavy mayo, I know most people are not. But, most people do love avocado, so that makes this spicy avocado slaw that replaces the mayo with avocado (similar to my spicy avocado egg salad) a big hit. It’s really easy to make and although I realize that pictures of cabbage may not look great, I promise you that this is a delicious recipe. And if you really love avocado, feel free to add more. I will sometimes even add cheese (yum!) or quinoa for a more hearty salad.
Ingredients (serves 4 as a side salad):
1/3 red cabbage
1 large avocado (or 2 small)
1 large lime (or 2 small)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
salt and pepper to taste
1. Cut the cabbage into small, thin pieces. Place in a large bowl.
2. Peel the cucumber, slice into small, thin pieces, and place into the bowl.
3. Cut the jalapeno into tiny pieces and put into the bowl on top of the cucumber and cabbage.
4. Remove the pit from the avocado, remove the skin and mesh the avocado in a separate bowl.
5. Squeeze the lime juice into the bowl with the avocado, add the olive oil and vinegar, and mix until the smooth.
6. Pour the avocado mixture into the bowl with the cabbage, cucumber, and jalapeño. Mix until the avocado mixture is well distributed.
7. Add salt and pepper to taste and serve.
**Feel free to add more avocado, jalapeño, lime juice, or even other ingredients to taste.