I made a major hair faux pas on Tuesday and I’m blaming it on the long weekend. I ended up getting up later than I intended Tuesday morning, having to quickly shower and pulling my wet hair into a bun. I was a mess. And to make things worse, I had a few important meetings that I needed to look presentable at and I was anything but.
As my hair dried and the frizz got worse and worse, the bun wasn’t working. So I decided to pull my into a side French braid. It helped get the hair more tamed, but I’ll tell you – a tight French braid can be pretty lame. Sorry if I’m offending anyone here.
During the summer months, I know my schedule gets busier and busier and I have less time to make myself perfectly pretty. And add to that the summer heat and humidity, it’s sometimes just not worth the extra time necessary to heat style my hair. So, I’m looking for easy ways to pull my hair back and braids (particularly on the weekends) can be a good choice. BUT only when done right. Many braided styles out there can be a little cheesy – pulled back way too tight, over-the-top princess-like, or just way too complex. To kick-start some summer beauty tips, here are 6 effortlessly cool ways to wear summer braids.
1. Inspired by Emma Stone’s Met Gala voluminous loose side braid, try teasing out your hair before loosely braiding it to the side. (image and full tutorial via Cosmopolitan)
2. Alternatively, simply wear a polished braided pony by pulling your hair into a high ponytail, braiding the pony, and tying the end. (image via Popsugar)
3. If you like to have your beach waves let loose during the summer, you can add an additional touch of boho chic by taking a piece (starting from the part), braiding the piece and pinning it back for the pinned back braided beach wave look. (image via Pinterest)
4. Create a braid within a braid by first taking pulling your hair back and dividing into three even pieces. Take only one of these pieces, braid, and tie the end. Then using that braided piece and the two remaining pieces of hair, loosely braid your hair. Remove the hairband from the original braid and tie the end of your hair. (image via 5th Avenue Fashion)
5. For a really hot or humid day when you want your hair securely pinned back, wear the tight side braid to messy bun. Tightly braid only one side of your hair and pull the braid along with the rest of your hair into a messy bun. The braid will keep your hair out of your face while the messy bun will keep it looking effortless. (image via Pinterest)
6. If you’re going to wear a traditional French braid, braid it very loosely and even try pulling a few front strands out for a messy French braid. (image via GirlsGuideTo)
Which of these effortless braids do you like the most?