Ok, so if you haven’t noticed already I love quinoa. It is high in protein, fiber, and iron and very tasty when prepared right. When I was working long hours and had little time to get to the grocery store, quinoa became one of my “go to” ingredients. I always kept it well stocked, and prepared it with whatever I had around.
One of my favorite quinoa recipes I’ve come up with are quinoa cakes. They can be prepared with many different types of veggies, cheeses, and seasonings. The best part is that you can make them on Sunday and Monday and store them as snacks or meals for the week. This is my recipe for mushroom and feta quinoa cakes.
1 cup quinoa
2 green onions
1/2 tablespoon minced garlic
1/2 cup of portobello mushrooms
1/2 cup of crimini mushrooms
1/3 cup of feta cheese
salt and pepper (to taste)
crushed red pepper (to taste)
1 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon of whole wheat flour
*Makes about 10 patties*
1. Combine the 1 cup of quinoa and 2 cups of water in a saucepan.
2. Place the saucepan on the stove and turn it on to medium heat.
3. Once the water starts boiling, reduce the temperature to low until all the water absorbs. Set the quinoa aside.
4. While the quinoa is cooking, chop up the mushrooms and green onions.
5. In a skillet, heat 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil and the minced garlic. Add the mushrooms and green onions and sauté on medium heat until the mushrooms are brown (about 5 minutes). Turn off the stove. 6. In a large bowl, beat the 2 eggs and add all the ingredients (quinoa, feta cheese, vegetables) and mix with a wooden spoon.
7. Add salt (in my case truffle salt), pepper, and crushed red pepper to taste (about 1 teaspoon of each).
8. Add half the whole wheat flour to the mixture and stir. Check to see how well the mixture is holding together. If it’s still too moist, add the remaining flour. Note: if you don’t add enough flour, the cakes will fall apart in the pan!
9. In a clean skillet, add the remaining olive oil. Use a large spoon to scoop out the mixture and make patties (about 3 inch in diameter and 1/3 inch thick). The mixture should make about 10 patties.
10. Cook the patties on medium heat for about 5 minutes on each side (or until golden). Remove from skillet and serve!