It’s heating up in CA with temperatures getting over 90 degrees this weekend. Warm weather is fun, but melted makeup, sunburns, and dehydration are not. Fortunately, we can make some minor adjustments to our beauty routine to prevent those. Here are my 8 beauty tips to beat the summer heat, look pretty, and have fun.
1. Wear a broad spectrum sunscreen with at least SPF 15 on both your face and body. Aside from causing sunburns, the sun accelerates the aging process and we all would like young looking summers for years to come. Even if your foundation has SPF, it is likely not providing you with enough protection. For more detail on how to select the right sunscreen, refer to my 5 tips for a fresh faced summer.
2. Accessorize! A fun summer hat and sunglasses will protect you from the sun and also sass up your outfit. You can find hats at reasonable prices, like this one from H&M for $9.95. Sunglasses are especially important to protect your eyes from sun damage (which can worsen eye sight in the long term) and also prevent eye wrinkles (the skin around the eye is particularly delicate and this is where wrinkles develop first). I tend to splurge a bit more for sunglasses depending on the style. I love these Tom Ford Alicia Sunglasses for a splurge on a classic, or these fun heart shaped sunglasses at Nordstrom for only $12 and a trendy look.
3. Apply a primer before your foundation. This preps the skin for makeup, controls shine, and prevents your foundation and make-up from melting away. Benefit Stay Flawless and Smashbox Photo Finish are both great primers for smooth application and all day wear.
4. Switch to a lightweight or sheer foundation. The last thing you want to do in the summer heat is cake on makeup. A sheer foundation like the Clinique Supermoisture Foundation hydrates the skin in a lightweight formula while still covering some of flaws. Another tip: you can try using a BB cream to combine both steps 2 & 3 (refer to my BB cream cheat sheet for help selecting the right one for you).
5. Use smudge-proof and waterproof mascara to make sure your eye makeup stays put all day. I love my Benefit They’re Real for smudge-proof mascara. If you’re going to be in the water, try the CoverGirl LashBlast waterproof mascara. For eyeliner, Lancome’s Le Stylo Waterproof eyeliner has been keeping my eyes smudge free for years.
6. Control oiliness throughout the day by setting your makeup with Urban Decay De-Slick Setting spray. This will absorb oil and prevent any oil build-up throughout the day. In the case of any shiny spots, use rice paper or compact powder to absorb any unwanted oil.
7. Let your hair flow naturally and avoid additional heat. I love styling my hair, but the summer time is where the heat and humidity can destroy the mane you just spent hours styling. Instead, let your hair flow naturally. For fine hair, use a spray like Sebastian Potion 9 Lite as a leave in treatment that will lightly moisturize your hair. My hair is frizzy and curly, so in the summer I apply Sebastian Taming Elixir to damp hair to tame the frizz. I like to keep my hair soft and touchable, so I use Sebastian Texturizer gel for lightweight hold and curl definition.
8. Drink water! Staying well-hydrated will keep your hair and skin looking healthy and pretty.