I consider myself a healthy eater, but when it comes to desserts I love baking. Home baked goods are just so much better and sweets always puts a smile on a person’s face. Plus, everyone needs to indulge every so often. I’ve really embraced the recent trend towards salted desserts, and have been in search for a fantastic salted recipe to add to my collection.
I stumbled upon a Food & Wine recipe for salted fudge brownies, and they were a huge success with my friends. A few days later, I stumbled another recipe for salted cookies using Rolos. Genius!
Given the success I had with the Food & Wine recipe, I decided to use my winning brownie recipe instead of the cookies and simply add the rolos. I’m calling these next level brownies. A guaranteed hit at any dinner party or picnic.
2 packs of Rolo candy, chopped into tiny pieces
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter
2 ounces unsweetened chocolate*, finely chopped
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa*
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar (this is a slight variation from the Food & Wine recipe)
3 large eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
*for both cocoa and chocolate, make sure that you buy quality chocolate. It will make a big difference.
1. Preheat the oven to 350°. Lightly butter a 9-inch square metal cake pan.
2. In a large saucepan, melt the butter with the unsweetened chocolate over very low heat, stirring occasionally.
3. Remove from the heat. Whisking them in one at a time until thoroughly incorporated, add the cocoa, sugar, brown sugar, eggs, vanilla and flour.
4. Add the chopped rolos and mix until distributed.
5. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the surface.
6. Sprinkle the salt evenly over the batter. Using a butter knife, swirl the salt into the batter.
7. Bake the fudge brownies in the center of the oven for about 35 minutes, until the edge is set but the center is still a bit soft and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out coated with a little of the batter.
8. Let the brownies cool at room temperature in the pan for 1 hour, then refrigerate just until they are firm, about 1 hour.
9. Lift the brownies from the pan and cut the brownies into squares. Serve at room temperature.